Tuesday, April 26, 2011

You too can have superhero derby vision and awareness!!!!

Giant revelation at practice tonight!!!

As we all know roller derby has a lot to do with timing, gaging distance, and depth perception.

I have been working my ass off on my turn around transition for 3 months, soo now Im super comfortable transitioning from forward to backward and back again at pack speed.
*need help w this skill email me and Ill send you links and videos-randimaehym@skatecourt.com
Now I know why . . . .
Talking to some of my coaches tonight, I have been skating to the front of the pack, transitioning backwards, taking a mental picture of where everyone is, and then either communicating it to my rear blockers or targeting in accurately on the opposing jammer. Even when I am transitioning forward, I still keep my eyes on her, I usually turn forward when she is about 5ft from me.
The difference from this and having "your head on a swivel" is stereoscopic vision vs peripheral
stereoscopic vision-http://education.vetmed.vt.edu/Curriculum/VM8054/EYE/BINOCS.HTM

Its why most natural predators(like us, crocs, lions) have their eyes together facing forward, while large prey animals(elephants,rhinos, Wilda beasts) have their eyes on the sides of their heads. They can see motion but arent so good with judging distance. Hell yeah, watching Discovery Channel and National Geographic finally pay off!!!

Master your transitions!!! SO YOU TOO CAN HAVE SUPER PREDATORY ROLLER DERBY VISION

Hugs.Slugs, and Derby Luv
Randi Maehym
randimaehym@SkateCourt.com

No comments:

Post a Comment