Tuesday, March 1, 2011

goal-being ridiculous on the track

Soo the more I have thought about how I wanna be a better skater, The more I have concluded that ridiculousness. My definition of ridiculous- pulling off the most insane footwork, jumps, and hits ever, but not going to the SIN BIN aka penalty box. I do suggest before attempting these goals, talk to your refs and head refs so they know whats coming because if you take them by surprise in a game, they will send you to the box even if its "technically legal". I have a pretty good relationship with my refs for this reason and the fact we cant skate without them. Last week I was nailing the "roll off" and the "roll around". The "roll-off", you are an outside blocker and and opposing blocker is attempting to hit you out of bounds= you absorb some of the hit with your left shoulder, use the momentum while going into a 360 turn (while picking up your feet through transition steps) and pretty much "rolling" around her using her back for balance. Not illegal because she intialized the hit, and you are just recovering. To do any rolls, you must master the transition steps!!! I am by no means a high level pro derby player, YET!! very exciting week for me, lots of outdoor skating and practicing, and I have kept my training journal up to date for at least a week (GO Maehym).
Jumping- if you are an awesome jumper, please email me how you train-randimaehym@skatecourt,com. I have been practicing but get freaked out about jumping over stuff (which is kinda the point). My legs are 4ft (no kiddin 4 real) and I can't tuck them in that fast. Any drills, tips, equipment, send my way randimaehym@skatecourt.com. I am going to try this "roll off" during scrimmage tonight and will keep my progress posted on this blog. Have an awesome day!!! and skate your heart out!!!
Hugs & Slugs
Randi Maehym

No comments:

Post a Comment